Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Roaring Rory

Despite a great sports weekend, I don't have a lot to add this morning.  It seems like most of the stories were open a shut this past weekend without much drama. 

I did manage to catch most of the final round of the US Open yesterday, even after I said I wasn't particularly interested without Tiger in the mix.  Rory put on quite a show, but the tournament was largely without drama and excitement, which in turn made it kind of boring.  The main reason I kept it on was so I could someday tell my kids that I watched Rory destroy the field in one of the greatest US Open wins in history. 

Other members of the media can say what they will, but I still won't rank Rory's victory above Tiger's win in 2000 at Pebble Beach.  You've got to remember that Tiger also led it wire to wire, and was 15 shots clear of the field after the 72nd hole.  Woods was also the only player under par (-12) on a course that played much tougher than Congressional did yesterday- (the USGA should be ashamed of how easy the course played on championship Sunday- but that's a different topic for another day). 

Good job by Rory- I hope this win starts a Rory-Tiger rivalry...something like that could really re-charge Woods' career.

Otherwise, kind of a ho-hum weekend.  The NASCAR race at Michigan was without major incident (thank god it didn't turn into a fuel mileage race...), no NHL or NBA, and despite some good potential match ups, baseball was not terribly interesting either.  A bunch of guys got hurt- Pujols, Crawford, Hanson, among others - but that's about it. 

The clock is running, and as of now, we are officially keeping score... 

No comments:

Post a Comment