Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Baseball Thoughts 5/4

Baseball season is in full swing, and I couldn't be happier.  There's nothing like America's pastime to make you really start thinking of summer. 

There have been a couple of things that have caught my eye so far this season-

Andre Ethier has managed to extend his hit streak out to 29 games.  It's a pretty impressive feat, but probably not worth getting really excited about until he gets closer to 40.  Since 2000, seven players have managed to hit in 30+ consecutive games, but not a single one of them made it to 40 (Jimmy Rollins was the closest in 2005-06 with 38).  Even the great Pete Rose, arguably the greatest non-power hitter of all time, only managed to get to 44. 

Even though I'm only 26-years old, I'm pretty sure I'll never see anyone match DiMaggio's 56 game streak.  That's one of a few baseball records I'd guess will stand the test of time.  I'd probably put Pete Rose's hit total in that category (4256), as well as Cal Ripken's consecutive games streak (2632). 

I'm also pretty sure I'll never see anyone hit .400, win a batting triple crown, or win 30 games on the mound.  I'm sure there are more out there- those are just the first to come to mind.  Even in the "post-steroid" era, someday someone will manage to hit 75 home runs in a season, and break Barry Bonds' career home run record.  My bet is that A-Rod will be on top of the latter by the time his career is over. 

All I can say is thank god for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment