Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

ALL STAR GAME QUICK HITS

With the MLB All-Star game (and literally NOTHING else) on tonight, I figured I'd give out a few quick hits on some story lines I'll be keeping an eye on during the mid-summer classic.

MOST DESERVING SELECTION- FAN VOTE: Jose Bautista, Blue Jays - a no-brainer in my book

MOST DESERVING SELECTION- PLAYER VOTE: Joel Hanrahan, Pirates - so what if it's a hometown pick.  He's been one of the two best players on a team that has surpassed all expectations this season.  If he's not a most-deserving pick, I don't know who is.

MOST DESERVING SELECTION - GOT IN AT THE LAST MINUTE- Craig Kimbrel, Braves - he's been one of the best closers in the NL (arguably the best, but Hanrahan and Brian Wilson have had great years too- that would be a fun topic for another day), and recently set the first half rookie saves record held by some guy named Pappelbon.  He slid in at the last moment, but could have been picked from the start.

Joel Hanrahan deserves the nod
BIGGEST HEAD SCRATCHER- Jordan Walden, Angels - Huh?  Who?  He's the closer for the Angels, so I guess I just don't pay enough attention to west coast ball.  He got in when Mariano Rivera was sidelined by injury.  Aaron Crow of the Royals is a close second...I know the Royals still might be in the "we've got to send somebody" category, but they're a much better team than to be sending a relief pitcher - and after all the no-shows, still no Alex Gordon...that's a crime.

ALL-STAR MVP PREDICTION- Andrew McCutchen, Pirates - Yep, he's that good.  My prediction is he makes at least one stellar catch in the outfield and hits a home run to pick up MVP honors.

WHO WINS TONIGHT- National League.  After the AL dominated forever, it seems the better pitching (at least the pitching that's going to show up tonight) is in the NL.  Beings as it's been a pitcher's game the past two years, I'll say the NL takes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment