Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Why I like the All-Star Game

In an age when it seems like every radio personality is hating on the All-Star game, you've managed to find one that still loves it.  Call me old-fashion if you want, but when the best of the best take the field tomorrow, I'll be locked and loaded with a cold one in front of my TV until the end. 

Why?  For the better part of my life (26 years and change), I spent one hot July night sitting in my living room, watching the game with my dad.  I always caught the Home Run Derby the night before, and for a 12-year old kid in Iowa, the All-Star game on Tuesday night was as good as it got.  I've never cared if it "meant something," it was always a way to spend a summer evening and see the guys with the most valuable baseball cards on the same field on the same night. 

I won't pretend to have many great "All-Star Game Memories," or any "Top Moments," but one or two do come to mind.  The extra-innings game a few years ago where the AL topped the NL stands out in my mind- Nate McLouth throwing to Russel Martin at the plate to prolong the game was a great moment- then Scott Kazmir coming out on short rest to basically put the game on a pitch-count right before the end...(Where have two of those three guys ended up?)  The extra-innings game would come to most people's mind, but that didn't do much for me.  It makes me sad to see guys bow-out of the game for various reasons, but there's always one or two more in line that are just as deserving. 

One more note- I'm glad to see the guy that caught Jeter's 3000th hit give the ball back.  A real class move in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment